25 July 2006

Jargon Jungle, Week 3 - The Heatwave Continues Unabated

I'm out of jokes about how hot it is--I've ceased to be amused and now I'm just cranky. So, to get my mind off of the heat and onto more fun things (like my impending trip to Hawaii--a honeymoon five years overdue!) here's another installment of The Jargon Jungle. :-)

****

Accountability-based learning: &-"kaun-t&-'bi-l&-tE 'bAsd 'l&rni[ng] [n] when teachers are blamed for poor student performance, but involved parents are lauded for outstanding student performance.

Achievement gap: &-'chEv-m&nt 'gap [n] the area between the teacher's planned student acheivement and what students actually learned.

De-centered classrooms: dE-'sen-t&rd 'klas-"rüm [n] [1] when you are notified a week before school starts that the classroom you planned to have is no longer available, leaving you to scrounge and replan [2] misguided policies by administrators in an attempt to save money, in which teachers are required to change classrooms multiple times in a day.

K-W-L: [n] Abbreviation for the term “Know-Want-Learn”; denotes a strategy used to determine what students don't know yet, won't want to learn, and will not be able to tell you that they learned anything about.

Pedagogy: 'pe-d&-"gO-jE [n] derived from the Latin roots for “foot” and “study”, pedagogy is the realization that no matter how good the shoes looked in the store, you should have thought twice before wearing them to work and having to stand in them all day.

***

I hope next week's Jungle will be slightly less hot and steamy for all of you. I'll be posting from the tropical clime of Hawaii, but at least it's never gotten above 100F there.

4 Comments:

At 10:17 PM, Blogger HappyChyck said...

Oh! Isn't that KWL true? Gathering what students know is useful, but they don't know what they don't know.

Oh, and pedagogy...I think somewhere last fall I posted about my experience with that!

 
At 6:05 AM, Blogger NYC Educator said...

Very funny post. Thanks for that.

Enyoy Hawaii!

 
At 6:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

KWL has always made me suspicious too. Nice twist on pedagogy!

 
At 5:58 AM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Wow! Congrats on the homeymoon! I had to wait a year for mine. You broke my record. Hawai'i, too. I am a bit jealous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home