11 September 2006

Bill Would Limit Hiring of Unwanted Teachers

If a new measure passed by the California Legislature is signed into law, as expected, principals at low-scoring schools will no longer have to hire bad teachers forced out from other schools, and leaders of higher-scoring schools will have an annual window for hiring whomever they want. One principal who supports the bill says it would allow her to find people who are a "good fit" for her school, but the president of the California Teachers Association said the bill incorrectly implies that all of the teachers in question are poor performers.

2 Comments:

At 4:59 PM, Blogger ms-teacher said...

My only comment on this is that I hoped it's linked to evaluations. While I realize that there may be problems with evaluations, I think that if a teacher is involuntarily and voluntarily transferred, it should be reflected as to why somewhere. An evaluation seems like the most obvious place.

All that being said, I agree with the reason for this piece of legislation. We had a teacher at my school site that we were basically forced to keep, year after year, and it was only after something came up fishy with his credential, that we finally got rid of him.

As much as I love my union, I think more needs to be done to ensure that bad teachers do not stay in education for long.

(I guess it was more than one comment!)

 
At 12:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am brand new with a newly minted MA/TESOL degree teaching in an "academy" of last resort for behavioral problems. My experience is limited but the daily success I experience makes me wonder, "who had these students before?"
This is a common concern about the non-existence of skills commensurate with age but I wonder about our profession. Is there a generalized abandonment of duty as a culture of failure prevailing as a psychic abcess? It surely seems so. Comments??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home