15 November 2006

Teaching meme

1. I am a good teacher because... I am passionate about what I do and I work my ass off.

2. If I weren’t a teacher, I would be... a guidance counselor. Wait, a position outside of the school system? A psychologist or sociologist.

3. My teaching style is... relaxed, fun. I enjoy teaching, and I try to make my classes as interesting and enjoyable as possible for both my students and I, while still doing a good job with teaching.

4. My classroom is... colorful, busy, interactive, creative, and waaay too small for everything I need to do with it.

5. My lesson plans are... ummm... non-existent?? I mean, I do plan, but not really formally--I more just put together an outline and work off of that.

6. One of my teaching goals is... to be a more effective and consistent writing teacher. I've been better in the past, but I'm just not putting as much time into it this year as I need to.

7. The toughest part of teaching is... dealing with teachers and administrators who are consistently negative toward and to the students they are supposed to encourage.

8. The thing I love most about teaching is... seeing students enthusiastic about learning and proud of what they've accomplished academically.

9. A common misconception about teaching is... we get a lot of vacation time. Oooohh, don't EVEN get me started on this one (this coming from someone who spent 13 hours at school today, and put in a 75-hour week *just in time spent at school!* last week.)

10. The most important thing I’ve learned since I started teaching is... patience and love. I thought I had those before, but nothing could ever have prepared me for the depth of my love for my students and my job.

2 Comments:

At 5:20 AM, Blogger CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Unfortunately, most good teachers work their posteriors off--and not many people notice (except other teachers, of course!).

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

That was great.

Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home